Today I am going to give you the recipe of Kadhi pakora which is particularly a Punjabi recipe but there are so many different ways and varieties of making this dish.All time favorite in our house and I am eating it since my childhood...my grand mom then mom and now mom in law ,everybody have their own recipe of making kadhi ,and surprisingly the taste of the dish every time comes out different and awesome....
When it comes to make North Indian style of Kadhi I always make the U.P.type which does not have vegetables added to the pakoras. It goes best with hot phulkas and white rice. so here goes the recipe..
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2/3 cup gram flour (besan)
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 whole red chilies
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of citric acid or tatri if needed
- 3/4 cup Gram flour
- About 2/3 cup water
- A pinch of salt
- A pinch of soda if needed
- oil for frying
- Mix gram flour with about 2/3 cup of water and mix well until smooth.
- Whip the gram flour batter using a spoon or whisk in a circular motion for about 2-3 minutes. Batter will become light and fluffy add salt.
- Heat oil in a flat pan. The oil should be about 1/2 inch deep.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of batter into the oil.
- Batter should not be covered with oil. This will allow the pakoras to expand. The pakoras will be softer if they are shallow fried.(if you feel pakoras are not soft enough then add a pinch of soda ti the better )
- Fry the pakoras in small batches. Fry the pakoras until golden-brown.
- Beat the yogurt. Mix in 2/3 cup of gram flour and turmeric. Mix until there are no lumps. Add 3 cups of water slowly and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the asafetida, fenugreek seeds, and cumin seeds. When the cumin seeds crack, add whole red chilies, and red chili powder. Stir for a few seconds.
- Add the yogurt mixture and keep stirring until the kadhi comes to a boil.
- Add 3 cups of water and let it boil and turn the heat to medium low. Stir occasionally and let the kadhi cook for 1/2 hour. When the kadhi is cooked, add salt.
- Add pakoras to kadhi in the end and let it cook for near about 4-5 more minutes.
- Serve hot with little bit of ghee and red chili tadka.
Note-- 1- Add salt only after curd and gram flour mixer comes to a boil ,it will prevent the curd from being curled.
2- The pakoras in kadhi should be soft for this whisk the gram flour well.